Thursday, July 16, 2009

A 50's Sofa and Lamp...my latest treasures!!!


Ok, so another one of my favorite hangouts (besides thrift shops) is Craigslist. I routinely check my local CL 10 times a day (okay, 20).

Just the other day, this sofa was posted in the Free section of CL. It has damage, and needs some restoration, but the moment I saw it I knew I needed to have it! I emailed the gentleman, and was graciously told it was already promised. My heart fell. I emailed him again and offered him money for it, but a true gentleman, he wouldn't go back on his word. I resigned to letting it go.

Then that night, I got another email. The lady was unable to make it, it could be mine! Hooray! I made arrangements to pick it up in the morning. The sofa was in Woodland Park, I was in Peyton. Somewhere inbetween I needed to rent a van to get it home safely.

I managed to do it, and get to Woodland Park as arranged. J. led me through a winding dirt path deep into the woods (ok, I'll admit, I got nervous for a second!) and then out to a beautiful clearing with horses and a pond. His house was past the first house on the road, and I couldn't help but look around at all the peaceful and beautiful landscaping.

We came up to garage, and there it was. Just as beautiful as I had hoped with it's turquoise and cream plush goodness. And in dire need of some lovin'. J. helped me load it into the van and then declined to take the money I offered. Bless him! What a generous soul! He told me to use the money for the rental van, which I did. We took a ride in his golf cart to an old barn to look at a chair (which unfortunately didn't go with my decor) and then we stopped at his stocked pond while he fed them. I almost didn't want to leave, it was so beautiful out there. Before I got ready to leave, J. gave me one more present...a 1950's pole lamp he had stored. More about that later!

THE SOFA
This piece of history is a three piece sectional which together form a rounded corner sofa. The fabric is hard to describe, it's a knobby woven material, possibly wool? The legs are square and tapered. There are no markings or labels on this sofa like I had hoped, so I have no clue who the maker might be.

The sofa unfortunately was attacked by a dog, hence the badly torn arm. It also has a broken piece of framing where the legs are on that same side, so that will have to be fixed before it can be used.

MY PLAN
I plan on having a professional upholsterer look at the damage and see what it might cost to fix. There is possibly enough of the torn fabric to repair, however some fabric may need to be taken from another place.

The cushions need to be replaced, as I think they are made of the original foam. I have removed the seat covers and will wash them gently in Woolite. The body of the sofa needs a good steam-cleaning as well. The legs of the sofa either need to be replaced or refinished, I haven't decided yet which to do.

I am convinced that this was was an absolute treasure of a find, and I cannot wait to show the after photos with it fully restored!


FIRST THE BAD...


MAYBE ENOUGH TO FIX?


DOGGIE DOINGS


LOOK AT THIS GORGEOUSNESS!


COULD YOU SEE MARILYN MONROE ON THIS SOFA ENJOYING A MARTINI?


HOW THE END OF THE SOFA SHOULD LOOK
THIS PICTURE BEARS REPEATING, IT IS JUST THAT GORGEOUS

MOST OF THE LEGS LOOK LIKE THIS OR WORSE, REPLACE OR REFINISH?


2 comments:

  1. That sofa is soooooo cool!!! You are just like me. I'll buy damaged items, too. I feel like they are lonely orphans and need some love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you did great on my old couch. Still have a table and an OLD lamp Glad you enjoy the couch and the lamp. My place is all fixed up with new carpets and paint. Only took me 30 years here

    ReplyDelete